Something happened to me this week which made me
question one of the friendships I have had for over twenty-five years. As a
journalist I believe it is crucial to be able to see both sides of the
story. There have been times in my life when this has been tested and I
have been unable to see a way forward, however over time, usually any
ill-feelings have subsided and relationships have either resumed or the paths
widen and you go your separate ways. Sometimes we simply cannot understand the
other person's point of view and often, we absolutely shouldn't.
You will no doubt have seen the Instagram posts
advising you to rid your life of those who don't bring you joy; those who bleed
you dry, who take and never give. It is true. And in the run up to
my 45th birthday, I understand myself more than ever, which also means I have
no regrets about removing toxic people from my life. Harsh? As I
read this back to myself, in black and white, yes, it sounds harsh but there is
something called self preservation. And as we live through highly stressful and
challenging times, there is only room in my life for those who really do bring
me joy.
I will admit here (shamelessly knowing some of my
friends will be reading this) that I haven't always been the best at staying in
touch with people. There have been times when I have closed myself off
from the world, preferring to keep my demons to myself, as opposed to letting
those who genuinely love me, help. But as true friends, they will always
be by my side and perhaps the most important part of this for me as that those
friends haven't judged me.
![]() |
| The best thing about age is wisdom |
Since lockdown began ten days ago, I have been in
touch with my close circle, much more than I usually would, and it is helping
me so much.
I have been in communication with a relatively new
friend, whom I have known just over two years. She is straight talking
(in a wise way) and incredibly thoughtful. She made me laugh this week by
telling me that every time she sees a boiled egg it reminds her of our beach
picnic in Eastbourne, where she prepared bread and hard boiled eggs for us,
when we couldn't decide which cafe to go to - we made our own lunch and it was
so much more fun, sitting out on the shingle beach in the fresh sea air with a
flask of coffee.
Another friend has told me of dog walking tales
this week. Frayed tempers in these testing times resulted in her being shouted
at by a silver-haired cyclist for not seeing him as she ran with her puppy
along the seafront, wearing headphones. After they almost collided, a tirade of
expletives came out of the cyclist’s mouth, to which my friend admitted - in a
manner most unlike her - she screamed at the pensioner that he shouldn't even
BE outside. My laughter after hearing this was not because of what was
said, but picturing my friend, who is so mild-mannered, taking on a new 'Corona
Persona'.
There was the Facetime I had with my old school
pal, whom I've known since I was 4 years old, as she lounged in self isolation
in her luxury apartment in the Middle East after returning from the UK
recently; her bosses told her she was not allowed to return to the office for
14 days. She joked with me sarcastically that having to stay indoors and
self isolate for a whole two weeks would be near impossible for her as we
laughed and gossiped some more and debated whether we could watch the whole of
the film "Funny Girl" without Barbara Streisand getting on our
nerves.
There was the telephone chat I had with my friend
in the Midlands, who hadn't responded to the voicemail I had left the day
before, who I was checking up on out of worry for this unusual behaviour; turns
out Vodafone had been the cause of the problem, but we managed to chew the fat
about our respective lives and how, despite the fact we are financially worlds
apart, we will still face the same challenges ahead. It's all relative,
after all.
There was the timely periodical message I received
from a former neighbour in his seventies, who was checking we were all managing
during the lockdown. His words always charming and filled with fun.
There was the Facetime with my niece, who was
dressed in her Police outfit, which she delighted in telling me the tie was
painted onto the shirt and not real. The innocence of a primary school
child who also told me her Daddy wasn't very clever because in their earlier
maths session he didn't know what 30+30 was.
I have also had regular contact from another very new
friend, whom I met whilst trying to get my clothes swapping events (they will
still go ahead!) off the ground. We met
up in a local café in February to discuss the plans and she has become a very
special person to me through our little chats.
In her email to me yesterday she said she was going to meet up with a
friend in Brighton online and drink wine together, as though they were in each
other’s company in person. It sounded
wonderful.
Over the last ten days I have had
Facetime chats with members of my family up in Yorkshire and telephone and
Skype chats with friends in other parts of the world and some pretty much living
on my doorstep. Catching up with these people, some of whom have been part
of my life for many, many years and some for just a few short months or years, has
reaffirmed to me just how good it is to talk. And how friends and family
are vital as we prepare for the UK peak of the pandemic.
There will inevitably be times during this period when we find ourselves being tested by those close to us and the majority of these relationships, due to their strength, will survive the tugs of war due to both parties willing that to happen. That 50/50 element is what reveals to us the true measure of any relationship. Our constants will remain as such.
Hold these wonderful people near to you
(metaphorically - you're not allowed to actually do this) and remember that
when we are all finished with this horrible business, when we see our loved
ones and dearest friends once more, those hugging and touching restrictions
will be lifted and we may indeed have to let out a few very grateful tears.



No comments:
Post a Comment